15 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

Thanksgiving...

To contact us Click HERE
Yesterday, we celebrated Thanksgiving at my mom's house. I love my mom so much! It was great being back in my family's home in Florida for the holiday (I'm actually blogging from mom's computer right now). I wanted to share a few of my family's Thanksgiving traditions with all of you out there in blog world since Rachael Ray always says how food and cooking is so much more than just eating. :)

Every year, my family names the turkey. We usually name the turkey after someone who is either new to our Thanksgiving table or who has never had the turkey named after him/her. The first Thanksgiving I spent with my fiance, he had the honor of having the turkey named for him. The following year, we named the turkey after my friend's boyfriend, who was joining us for Thanksgiving for the first time. In 2007, the turkey was named for my brother's girlfriend...who was promptly sprayed with turkey grease (accidentally) by my mother while we were basting the namesake bird, lol. The next year, the turkey was named for my father-in-law to mark the first Thanksgiving that we shared with Prav's family and my family together. Last year, we added a new member to our family. My mother married the love of her life, Teddy, last December. So, naturally, this year the turkey was aptly named, Teddy. :)

My family always eats Thanksgiving dinner in our pajamas. This started years ago for a very special reason, but it is a family secret. ;) On Thanksgiving morning, we hold the annual "Parade of PJ's" just before the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade airs on TV. We each take turns parading down the stairs to show off our new Thanksgiving pj's! We don't just eat in regular old sweatpants and t-shirts here. No, no, we make an effort to wear funny pj's that reflect our unique personalities. My mom debuted her fabulous 2-piece flannel, button-down pj's this year. They have dogs, specifically Whippets, on them because my mom owns a Whippet named Toby. They were awesome. My brother, who is a college student, usually wears funny pj's that reflect pop culture. This year, he wore Corona beer pants and a Budweiser shirt...gotta love college kids, right! Now, about my pj's this year...flannel 2-piece pj's with little wooden spoons, mixing bowls, and whisks on them!!! :) My future hubby is still searching for one-piece footed pj's with a "butt flap" that come in his size, LOL!

Another family tradition, which I'm sure many of you also participate in, is the time-honored question, "What are you thankful for this year?" before the meal. My family goes around the table and shares what we're most thankful for...it's usually a tear-jerker too! Then, someone gives a toast to our family and we all sip Martinelli's sparkling apple cider (mmm...so good)!

My family also watches "A Christmas Story" and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" at night on Thanksgiving. We are usually ready for round 2 of the Thanksgiving desserts by the time we start the movies too! :)

And, in case you were wondering, I made the turkey gravy this year! It was awesome! I also made Teri Hatcher's Ginger Smashed Sweet Potatoes that Rachael featured on her website and show. Today, we are using the leftover turkey to make RR's Turkey Empanadas.

I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving!!!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder