29 Kasım 2012 Perşembe

Ginger's Apple Pie

To contact us Click HERE
     With all the apples I had last month, I made two  apple pies.  Last year my friend Ginger gave me her mother's pie crust recipe.  For the past five years since I've had celiac disease, I haven't been too satisfied with the pie crusts I've come across.  I've tried a packaged gluten free pie crust, but there are times that I want to make the whole pie from scratch like my grandmother used to do.  When I made this last fall, I changed out the flour with rice, sorghum, and tapioca flour.  One thing I liked about this recipe is I didn't have to put the dough in the refrigerator to chill.  It was as I note in the recipe below just a bit sticky, but I just kept adding  handfuls of  flour onto the bread board and rolling it until it wouldn't stick any more.  This crust is one of the best I've made so far.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know!  When I made it in September, our Polish student said it reminded him of the apple strudel he ate back home.




Ginger’s Mom’s Best Pie Crust  My Gluten Free Version – Makes 2

1.  In medium bowl:  Beat 1 egg, and then add enough milk to make 7/8th of a cup—which is 1 cup minus 2 T. (Make sure all ingredients are cold so pastry will be flaky. 

2.  Mix dry ingredients:  In a bowl measure out 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour, 1 cup of tapioca flour,  1 1/2 t baking powder,  and 1 t salt in a bowl.  Cut in  1 ¼ cups of butter.



3.  Stir in egg and milk mixture.  Be careful you don't work the flour too long. 

4.  Make two balls.  Put on heavily gluten free floured board and roll each of them out into an an 8” circle.  Since I adapted this recipe to gluten free flour, I found this dough a little bit sticky; so keep flouring your board and rolling pin until you get the right consistency.
This rolling pin used to be my grandmother's!

Cut into 4 pieces and one by one place them into a pie plate, seal edges with fingertips.    Bake for 20 minutes at 425 if you are just baking the shell without a filling.




Ginger’s Apple Pie
1.  Prepare apples: Wash apples and peel and cut enough apples for 8 cups of apples.  Put apples in a large glass bowl.
2.  Prepare spices:  In a small dish mix  together  1 t grated orange peel, ½ t salt, 1 cup of brown sugar or ¾ cup agave, 1 t cinnamon, and 2 T rice flour.  Thoroughly coat the apples and then put them  into the crust.   
3. Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 425 and then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for 30-40 minutes more. 

Note:  The orange peel in this pie gives the pie a hint of orange, but  if you want a more traditional pie, then my friend Judi makes her apple pies with 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t nutmeg and 1 t vanilla.  She also dots her apples with a bit of butter. 







Other Gluten Free Baked Goodies on This Blog:

Breads & Muffins

Gluten free and Low-fat Banana bread

Beth's Gluten Free Cornbread

Banana Nut muffins

Gluten Free Tremendous Pumpkin Muffins

Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins


Cakes:

Gluten Free Apple Cake

Gluten Free Carrot Cake


Crisps & Pies:

Lena's Rhubarb Crunch

Fruit Berry Crisp

Apple Crisp
Ginger's Apple Pie

Cookies:

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies

Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies

Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies

Gluten Free & Low Fat Peppermint Sugar Cookies


Puddings

Baked Coconut Pudding

Lemon Meringue Pie Pudding



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder