Ginger’s Mom’s Best Pie Crust My Gluten Free Version – Makes 2
1. In medium bowl: Beat 1 egg, and then add enough milk to make 7/8th of a cup—which is 1 cup minus 2 T. (Make sure all ingredients are cold so pastry will be flaky.
2. Mix dry ingredients: In a bowl measure out 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour, 1 cup of tapioca flour, 1 1/2 t baking powder, and 1 t salt in a bowl. Cut in 1 ¼ cups of butter.
3. Stir in egg and milk mixture. Be careful you don't work the flour too long.
4. Make two balls. Put on heavily gluten free floured board and roll each of them out into an an 8” circle. Since I adapted this recipe to gluten free flour, I found this dough a little bit sticky; so keep flouring your board and rolling pin until you get the right consistency.
|This rolling pin used to be my grandmother's!|
Cut into 4 pieces and one by one place them into a pie plate, seal edges with fingertips. Bake for 20 minutes at 425 if you are just baking the shell without a filling.
Ginger’s Apple Pie
1. Prepare apples: Wash apples and peel and cut enough apples for 8 cups of apples. Put apples in a large glass bowl.
2. Prepare spices: In a small dish mix together 1 t grated orange peel, ½ t salt, 1 cup of brown sugar or ¾ cup agave, 1 t cinnamon, and 2 T rice flour. Thoroughly coat the apples and then put them into the crust.
3. Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 425 and then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for 30-40 minutes more.
Note: The orange peel in this pie gives the pie a hint of orange, but if you want a more traditional pie, then my friend Judi makes her apple pies with 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 t nutmeg and 1 t vanilla. She also dots her apples with a bit of butter.
Other Gluten Free Baked Goodies on This Blog:
Breads & Muffins
Gluten free and Low-fat Banana bread
Beth's Gluten Free Cornbread
Banana Nut muffins
Gluten Free Tremendous Pumpkin Muffins
Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
Gluten Free Apple Cake
Gluten Free Carrot Cake
Crisps & Pies:
Lena's Rhubarb Crunch
Fruit Berry Crisp
Ginger's Apple Pie
Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies
Gluten Free & Low Fat Peppermint Sugar Cookies
Baked Coconut Pudding
Lemon Meringue Pie Pudding