To contact us Click HERE This lasagna is for those times you want some pasta but you don't want it with meat. Maybe you can't even imagine lasagna without a meat sauce! Lately I've been trying to cook at least two vegetarian meals a week. Anyway this recipe is a combination of two wonderful lasagna recipes. This recipe is called Spinach Lasagna III, and it comes from All Recipes. It doesn't have a pasta sauce so I put in here one from a lasagna recipe that I have used for over ten years. We have added a few more vegetables than it calls for. My youngest daughter and I made this last summer, and it was fabulous! Last week this she and her husband (who is half Italian and said lasagna sauce needs red pepper flakes!) made this lasagna again.
VEGETARIAN LASAGNA 1. Home made pasta sauce:
(1) Mince 2 large cloves of garlic.
(2) Dice up 1 purple onion.
(3) Saute garlic and onion in a skillet.
(3) Put in the pan two 6 oz can of tomato paste.
(4) Put in the pan one 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
(5) Add spices: 2 t salt, 1 t black pepper, and 1/4 t red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 t dried basil, 2 t dried oregano, 1 T parsley, and 2 t brown sugar.
(6) Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or longer if time. Adjust any seasonings.
2. Prepare vegetables:
(1) Dice up 1 yellow onion
(2) Mince up 1 T garlic
(3) Slice 1 cup of mushrooms
(4) Chop up 4 cups of spinach
(5) Thinly slice 1 zucchini
(6) Grate 1 large carrot
3. Saute vegetables:
(1) Put 1 t of oil into a skillet and cook the onions for about 3 minutes,.
(2) Add the garlic, spinach, and mushrooms and sautÃ© until tender.
(3) Drain liquid and cool.
3. Prepare gluten free noodles: Bring water to boil in a pasta pot. Cook and drain 9 gluten free lasagna noodles according to instructions. (All Recipes calls for 20 noodles, you decide how many you like)
4. Prepare cheeses: (Put the mozzarella and Parmesan in separate bowls)
(1) Grate 3 cups of mozzarella cheese and put in a bowl.
(2) Grate 1 cup of Parmesan cheese
(3) Grate 2/3 cup of Romano cheese (this is for the cheese filling)
5. Make cheese filling:
(1) In a large bowl put 1 large container of ricotta cheese or 16 oz of cottage cheese.
(2) Stir in the Romano cheese.
(3) Add spices: 1 t salt, 1 t dried oregano, 1 t basil, 1/2 t pepper
(4) Stir in 1 egg.
(5) Then stir in the cooled vegetables (spinach, mushrooms, onion, and garlic)
6. Assemble lasagna:
(1) Spoon some of the sauce onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
(2) Lay 3 noodles on top of the sauce
(2) Spread 1/3 of the cheese/spinach mixture over the noodles.
(3) Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella over the top with 1/3 cup of Parmesan.
(4) Spread 1+ cup of pasta sauce over the top of the cheese.
(5) Repeat the layers 2 times.
Cover the dish and bake for 1 hour at 350
Other Italian & Greek Recipes on This Blog:
My Mom's Spaghetti
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!