20 Kasım 2012 Salı

Gluten Free Turkey/Chicken Pot Pie

To contact us Click HERE
      Pot pies are so yummy on a rainy fall day.  Last week I took out some turkey I needed to use up and thought I would work on combining the three recipes I have for chicken pot pie into one really great one. So this is a combination of  recipes from Family Circle, and the websites Ginger Lemon Girl and Gluten Free Mommy. Doing this takes time and patience as I'm sure you know, but I really wasn't satisfied with what I had.  I've had a hard time finding the right gluten free crust and I wanted to make the sauce from scratch, too.  For me  the sauce and the topping are the most critical to get right.  It was worth all the effort when everyone told me this was a keeper and that I should make it again after Thanksgiving.



GLUTEN FREE TURKEY/CHICKEN POT PIEMakes a 9 x 13 pan
1.  Prepare turkey/chicken:  Poach 2 pounds of turkey or chicken, and when it's cool to the touch, cut it into 1" pieces.

2.  Prepare vegetables for steaming:
(1)  Scrub 3 medium potatoes and cube.
(2)  Scrub 2 large carrots and slice into half moons.
(3)  Take 1- 1 1/2 cups of peas out of the freezer.
(3)  Steam the potatoes and carrots for about 10 minutes, add the peas and cook until potatoes are tender.

Prepare vegetables for sauteing.
(4)  Mince 1 yellow onion
(4) Chop 2 stalks of celery
(5)  Mince 1 clove of garlic
(6)  Slice 1/2 cup of mushrooms - Optional
(7)  Put 2 T of coconut oil into a skillet and saute the onion and celery for a few minutes and then add the garlic and mushrooms if you're using.  Saute until onions are translucent.
(8)  Put them in a bowl and add them to the sauce in step 5 below.

2.  Prepare gluten free chicken soup sauce: 
(1)  Melt 4 T of butter in a saucepan on medium heat and add 4 T of cornstarch/tapioca starch until a thick paste is created (or roux).
(2)  Turn down the heat and whisk in 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of water or chicken stock.
(3)  Add bouillon and seasonings:   2 T of chicken Better Than Bouillon (if you're using the water), 2 t salt, and 1 t black pepper. Whisk mixture for about 10 minutes or until it is thickened to a cream like consistency--this is what Ginger Lemon Girl calls gluten free chicken soup.  Sometimes I find I need to add a bit more cornstarch if it's not thickening up right or a bit more water if it's too thick. 
(4)  Stir in 1/2 t thyme and 2 T of Costco's Organic No-Salt Seasoning.
(5)  Add the sauted vegetables.Taste and adjust any seasonings.
(6)  Remove from heat until needed.

3.  Make a gluten free bisquit topping: (I forgot to write down what site I found this on)
 (1)  In a medium sized bowl add 1 cup of cornstarch  (I used tapioca starch). Then add 1 cup of brown rice flour (I had only white rice flour), 4 t baking powder, 1/2 t baking soda, and 1 t salt. 
(2)  Cut in 4 T of butter until the dough is like peas
(3)  Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk (I only had coconut milk and squirted in a bit ot lemon juice) and 2 egg whites.
Note:  I was a bit worried how this would turn out with so many substitutions.  Because I didn't have brown rice flour, I didn't put it all the egg whites.  We were all wowed by how good this crust came out!

4.  Assemble pot pie - in a 9 x 13 pan:
(1) Arrange cubed chicken on the bottom of the pan.
(2)  Lay steamed vegetables over the chicken.
(3)  Pour sauce over the chicken and vegetables.
(4)  Drop the bisquit topping over the top.
(5)  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until the top is golden. 

  List of other casseroles on this blog:

Stacked Enchiladas - Texas Style

Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada

Cheese & Vegetable Enchiladas

Vegetarian Lasagna

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder