23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Chasing memories: Peanut Butter Sunbutter Kisses

Peanut Butter (Sunbutter) Kisses
Recipe Favorites of "ole Shawnee" Copyright 1968-1982

2 c. dry milk
1 c. peanut butter I used Sunbutter
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. coconut (I omitted this)

In a 2-quart bowl, mix dry milk, peanut butter and honey. Roll dough into balls, then roll balls in the coconut. I scooped the mixture and drizzled them with melted chocolate. Makes approximately 25 balls.
______________________________________

I ate the cafeteria lunch most of my way through school. I didn't really have a choice but I don't remember ever complaining about it. Funny that I can't remember very many of the meals I was served in all those years - pork patty on bread with gravy, chicken croquettes (my favorite), salisbury steak, burgers, pizza, pizza burgers (probably what I was least happy to eat). Surely there were a few other meals served but those are the only ones that I remember.

I seem to recall that dessert was served daily but maybe not. The dessert I was most happy to see was something called peanut butter kisses. They were little scoops of a creamy peanut butter concoction, drizzled with chocolate (chocolate syrup, I think). I remember you could buy them a la carte for 15 cents,  one peanut butter kiss on a square of waxed paper.  They were a regular thing throughout my schooling. It never occurred to me that they would be out of my life someday. By the time I thought about reproducing them it was years later. Then came my son's peanut allergy. I thought my dream of finding a copycat for these treats was over but then Sunbutter came into my life.  Would that work?

Unfortunately I have not been able to find regular Sunbutter anywhere lately, just the natural variety, which I don't really care for.  The consistency and flavor is just not right for using in most peanut butter recipes.  I tried it anyway.  These did not duplicate my beloved peanut butter kisses from school.  They weren't creamy enough, the flavor wasn't right.  I am thinking the powdered milk might be right but not the honey. Maybe corn syrup instead of honey?  Of course, without peanut butter it won't ever be exactly the same. Almond butter might be a better substitute but that's crazy expensive (as in powdered milk!).

I will probably try again.  Since it's been over 25 years since I last tasted what I'm trying to duplicate, it's really not possible to duplicate it but I think I could come up with something equally enjoyable.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder