Blackman BBQ Sauce – From Cordon Bubba
1. Combine these ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes: 2/3 cup of ketchup, ½ cup of red wine vinegar, ½ cup of brown sugar, 1 T dry mustard, 2 T chili powder. ½ t ginger, 1 clove of minced garlic, 2 T butter, 2 slices of lemon, and 8 teaspoons wheat-free Worcestershire sauce.
2.Marinate the chicken in half of the BBQ sauce and use the other half to baste it while grilling.
Lesley's Oven Fried Chicken
1. Prepare chicken: Rinse 2-3 pounds of chicken pieces.
2. Make coating: Mix together 3/4 cup of rice flour, 1/3 cup of cornmeal, 1/4 T chili powder, 1 t salt, 1/4 t thyme, 1/4 t oregano, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese in a medium size bowl. Put a smaller amount in a smaller bowl.
3. Prepare chicken for baking: Pour 1/2 cup of buttermilk into a bowl. Dip each piece in the buttermilk and then put in the bowl and coat with flour mixture. Put on a plate.
4. Prepare 9 x 13 pan: Put 1/4 cup of butter in a 9 x 13 pan and put the pan in a 400 degree oven and let the butter melt. When the chicken pieces are coated, lay them in the pan. Cook uncovered for 25 minutes and then turn them over and cook another 25 minutes.
Diane’s Potato Salad
From Best of the Best from Washington Cookbook
1. Prepare potatoes & cook eggs: Scrub 7-8 medium potatoes and cook them whole in water to cover. Let them cool and then cut them up into dunes. Boil up 4 eggs in a separate pan--keep one for the top.
2.In bowl mix up: 1 ½ c mayo, 1 T wheat-free mustard (I often add a bit more), 1/2 T salt, 1/2 t black pepper, 1 small onion diced, 3 stalks of diced celery, 4-5 diced pickles, 3 chopped up hard boiled eggs, ½ - 1 T balsamic vinegar, and 1-2 T spike or similar no salt seasoning.
3. Combine ingredients: Add cooled potatoes to this mixture and mix well. Adjust any seasonings. Slice one egg and arrange on the top and sprinkle the salad with paprika. Refrigerator a few hours before serving. Serves 10-12.
My Aunt Janie’s Pennsylvania Baked Beans
1. Cook up 4 cups of navy beans: Soak 4 cups of beans, drain them in the morning. Add enough water to go a few inches over the top of the beans and cook on medium high heat until tender but not mushy. This takes about 1 ½ hours.
2. Mix up in a bowl: 1 ½ cups of ketchup, ¼ cup of tomato paste, ¼ cup of water, ½ cup of brown sugar, 2 T molasses, 2 squirts of mustard, ½ t cloves, 1 T salt, ½ of an onion diced, ½ of a green pepper diced. Taste and adjust the seasonings. I usually add a bit more molasses.
3. Mix with the beans and then bake at 300 for 2 hours.
Northern Baked Beans – From Fix It & Forget It
1. Prepare 2 cups of northern beans according to package.
2. Mix in a medium bowl: 1 can of tomato sauce/ketchup, ½ cup of brown sugar, ½ cup of molasses, 2 t salt, 1 small diced onion, 1 t prepared mustard, and ¼ t ginger.
3. Combine the tomato mixture with the beans. Cover and bake at 300 1 ½-2 hrs.
Kentucky Fried’s Cole Slaw
From Best of the Best from Washington Cookbook
1. Prepare veggies: Cut up or shred 8 cups of cabbage with ¼ cup of grated carrots.
2. Mix up the dressing in a large bowl: ¼ cup of buttermilk, ¼ cup milk, ½ cup of mayo, 2 ½ T lemon juice, 1 ½ T white vinegar, 1/3 cup of sugar, ½ t salt, and 1/8 t black pepper.
3.Combine ingredients: Add the cabbage and carrots and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Rose’s Cucumber, Tomato & Onion Salad (light and tangy)
1.Prepare veggies: Scrub and run a peeler down 2 medium cucumbers to make stripes on it so when you cut the cucumber you have green and white edges. Chop up 4 roma tomatoes, and chop up ¼ of a sweet onion.
2. Make marinade: Whisk together 3 T rice vinegar, 1 T oil, 1 t agave syrup, ½ t salt, and ½ t pepper. Toss and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
Raspberry Sun Tea
1. Infuse the tea: Take 3 raspberry tea bags and put them in a gallon glass container and put them out in the sun to infuse. You can do this inside, too, but there’s something about a tea that has steeped in the sun for many hours.
2. Add sugar and lemon: When it’s done, press the tea bags to release all of their essence into the water. Then add ¾ - 1 C of sugar. Taste and adjust it. Slice 1 or 2 lemons and let the tea for about 30 minutes before serving. Add ice.
Michelle’s Brownie Flag Ice Cream Cake
1. Prepare the brownies: Make the basic gluten free brownie mix in a spring form pan (the one you use to make a cheesecake). Let it cool.
2. Arrange and freeze layers of red, white, and blue ice cream, sherbert, or sorbet:
(1) Evenly spread on the raspberry sherbert/sorbet over the top. Put in the freezer and let it freeze for an hour or two. (2) Then take it out, and add the next layer of sherbert/sorbet –try to get one that’s blue or mix blueberries with one to make it work. Put it in the freezer for an hour. (3) Then spread coconut sorbet or vanilla ice cream on top of that. Put it back in the freezer until you are ready to make the flag on top.
3.Make the flag: Remove the cake from the spring form pan and put on a serving platter. Slice up strawberries for the stripes and have some blueberries thawed for the stars. Arrange the stars and stripes on the top and serve!